Have you wondered why shampoo flows more slowly when it is cold? The Viscosity SEEDKIT is a hands-on activity designed to help students learn about viscosity—how liquids flow and the temperature changes that can affect that flow. This kit can be used to conduct a school workshop or as part of a larger collaborative workshop. You can also lead a short workshop at any school in your area, or do a science project with your own kids at home.
This SEEDKIT includes an introductory video, instructional videos, a workshop outline, slide presentations, laboratories and articles from the SEED online science center, and the basic materials needed for the activity. You will need to obtain some items on your own, including shampoo, oil, and water.
Files for workshop
- Viscosity: How Thickness and Temperature Affect a Liquid’s Flow outline
- Viscosity: How Thickness and Temperature Affect a Liquid’s Flow slide show
- Viscosity of Liquids II Lab
- Viscosity of Liquids II Lab Our Results
- Viscosity and Temperature II Lab
- Viscosity and Temperature II Lab Our Results
- Virtual Experiment: Viscosity Explorer
- Video: An Introduction to Viscosity SEEDKIT
- Video: Testing Viscosity of Different Liquids
- Video: Temperature Changes and the Viscosity of Different Liquids
- Certificates for Workshop Completion
- Ketchup: Thick or thin?
- Cornstarch and Water
- Viscosity of Liquids I Lab
- Viscosity and Temperature I Lab
- Removing Cuttings From the Borehole
- Drilling Fluid: Lifeblood of Well
Get the Viscosity SEEDKIT
Viscosity SEEDKIT contents: DVD, 3 clear plastic bottles, 3 marbles, small cardboard box, stopwatch, ruler, aluminum basin. DVD includes documentation in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
For more information, to talk to an expert, or to join a SEEDKIT Webinar, contact SEED.