Have you wondered why shampoo flows more slowly when it is cold? The Viscosity SEEDKIT is a hands-on activity designed to help students learn about viscosity—how liquids flow and the temperature changes that can affect that flow. This kit can be used to conduct a classroom workshop or as part of a larger teacher training workshop. You can also lead a science project with your own children at home.
The SEEDKIT (09-SK-102) includes the following materials: three plastic bottles, three marbles, one stopwatch, one ruler and one aluminum basin. You will need to obtain some items on your own, including shampoo, oil, and water. Instructions to use this SEEDKIT can be found on this page. If you are going to an area without Internet connection you can purchase the Viscosity SEEDKIT DVD (09-SK-102-DVD), which includes all lesson plans and videos.
Files for workshop
- Viscosity: How Thickness and Temperature Affect a Liquid’s Flow outline
- Viscosity: How Thickness and Temperature Affect a Liquid’s Flow slide show
- Viscosity of Liquids II Lab
- Viscosity of Liquids II Lab Our Results
- Viscosity and Temperature II Lab
- Viscosity and Temperature II Lab Our Results
- Virtual Experiment: Viscosity Explorer
- Video: An Introduction to Viscosity SEEDKIT
- Video: Testing Viscosity of Different Liquids
- Video: Temperature Changes and the Viscosity of Different Liquids
- Certificates for Workshop Completion
- Ketchup: Thick or thin?
- Cornstarch and Water
- Viscosity of Liquids I Lab
- Viscosity and Temperature I Lab
- Removing Cuttings From the Borehole
- Drilling Fluid: Lifeblood of Well
Get the Viscosity SEEDKIT
DVD includes instructions and videos in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
For more information, to talk to an expert, or to arrange a SEEDKIT Webinar, contact SEED.