Did you know you can make a battery out of a lemon? The Fruit Power SEEDKIT is a hands-on activity designed to help students learn how electricity is conducted. This kit can be used to conduct a school workshop or as part of a larger collaborative workshop. You can also lead a short workshop at any school in your area, or do a science project with your own kids at home.
This SEEDKIT includes an introductory video, instructional videos, workshop outline, slide presentation, and laboratories and articles from the SEED online science center, as well as most of the supplies needed to build your battery. You will need to obtain some items on your own, including lemons and other fruits or vegetables.
Files for workshop
- Fruit Power outline
- Fruit Power slide show
- Fruit Power lab
- Video: An Introduction to the Fruit Power SEEDKIT
- Video: How to Make a Lemon Battery
- Video: Connecting a Series of Lemon Batteries
- Video:Testing Other Metals in a Lemon Battery
- Certificates for Workshop Completion
- Digging Deeper: How the Lemon Battery Works
- Fruit Power—A Supersized Cell! lab!
- Build a Better Battery engineering challenge
- SEED Voices: Volunteer Takes SEED Workshops to Ghana
Get the Fruit Power SEEDKIT
Fruit Power SEEDKIT Contents: DVD, 5 LEDs, 10 alligator clip test leads, 5 copper nails or coins, 5 zinc-plated metal screws, aluminum metal strip, copper metal strip, zinc metal strip, iron metal strip. DVD includes documentation in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
For more information, to talk to an expert, or to join a SEEDKIT Webinar, contact SEED.