Have you ever wondered why some materials float in water and others sink? Floating or sinking has a lot to do with buoyancy. The Buoyancy SEEDKIT is a hands-on activity designed to help students learn how the upward force of a liquid affects an object in that liquid.This kit can be used to conduct a classroom workshop or as part of a larger teacher training workshop. You can also lead a science project with your own children at home.
The SEEDKIT (09-SK-110) includes the following materials: one spring scale, one large bolt, and one spool of thread. You will need to obtain some items on your own, including clear plastic or glass containers, water, and other liquids like oil or corn syrup. Instructions to use this SEEDKIT can be found on this page. If you are going to an area without Internet connection you can purchase the Buoyancy SEEDKIT DVD (09-SK-110-DVD), which includes all lesson plans and videos.
Files for Workshop
- Buoyancy Outline
- Buoyancy Slide Show
- Experiment: Buoyancy
- Video: An Introduction to the Buoyancy SEEDKIT
- Video: Testing the Buoyancy of Different Liquids
- Certificates for Workshop Completion
- Experiment: Buoyancy Explorer
- Experiment: Cargo Overboard
- Experiment: Cartesian Diver
- Experiment: Cork in Ice
- Experiment: Floating and Stability
- Experiment: In the Bathroom: The Floating Duck
- Experiment: Yellow Money
- Find out more about Archimedes
- Find out more about Buoyancy Explorer
- Find out more about Buoyancy
- Find out more about Floating and Stability
Get the Buoyancy SEEDKIT
DVD includes instructions and videos in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
For more information, to talk to an expert, or to arrange a SEEDKIT Webinar, contact SEED.