Have you ever wondered why some materials float in water and others sink? Floating or sinking has a lot to do with buoyancy. The Buoyancy SEEDKIT is a hands-on activity designed to help students learn about flotation and water resistance. This kit can be used to conduct a school workshop or as part of a larger collaborative workshop. You can also lead a short workshop at any school in your area, or do a science project with your own kids at home.
This SEEDKIT includes an introductory video, instructional videos, workshop outline, slide presentation, and laboratories and articles from the SEED online science center, as well as the basic materials needed for the activity. You will need to obtain some items on your own, including clear plastic or glass containers, water, and other liquids like oil or corn syrup.
Files for Workshop
- Buoyancy Outline
- Buoyancy Slide Show
- Experiment: Buoyancy
- Video: An Introduction to the Buoyancy SEEDKIT
- Video: Testing the Buoyancy of Different Liquids
- Certificates for Workshop Completion
- Experiment: Buoyancy Explorer
- Experiment: Cargo Overboard
- Experiment: Cartesian Diver
- Experiment: Cork in Ice
- Experiment: Floating and Stability
- Experiment: In the Bathroom: The Floating Duck
- Experiment: Yellow Money
- Find out more about Archimedes
- Find out more about Buoyancy Explorer
- Find out more about Buoyancy
- Find out more about Floating and Stability
Get the Buoyancy SEEDKIT
Buoyancy SEEDKIT contents: DVD, spring scale, large screw, spool of thread. DVD includes documentation in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
For more information, to talk to an expert, or to join a SEEDKIT Webinar, contact SEED.